"Al Davis was remembered Saturday as the AFL commissioner who helped
lead the merger with the NFL that changed professional football forever. He was praised as the trendsetting owner of the Oakland Raiders, who broke racial and gender barriers while winning three Super Bowl titles and preaching his mantra of "Just win, baby!"
I agree with the response that Al Davis is getting, he was a great man and i respect him so much even though I am not a raider fan but i do applaud to the raiders' performance this season. Like Steve Jobs he was a pioneer as well, He hired the first black head coach of the modern era Art Shell in
1988. Before Art he hired the first Latino coach, Tom Flores; and the first woman
CEO, Amy Trask, in NFL. Davis breached several civil rights and diversity barriers during his
career with the Raiders. In 1963, the Raiders were scheduled to play a
preseason game in Mobile, Alabama.
In protest of Alabama's segregation laws, Davis refused to allow the
game to be played there and demanded the game be moved to Oakland. Al has changed the game of NFL in so many ways even though when he was the AFL commissioner he was against the merger with the NFL. To this day Davis is considered the most controversial owners in the NFL because of being because being involved in so many lawsuits with Los Angeles, Oakland, Irwindale and the NFL.
Even though i am not a raider fan i still have a lot respect for the team a because of Al Davis and
the passionate black and silver raider fans. I hope that later on in
the years we will get to meet another person like Al Davis in the NFL.
I send my regards to Mark Davis i know it is tough to take over the family buisness while mouring the death of Al. The raiders lost there starting quaterback to injury Jason Campble; they have traded two 1st draft picks of 2013 and 2014 to aquire veteren quarterback Carson Palmer from the Cinncinati Bengals. I hope this move was a good decision and I hope the Raiders will make it to the playoffs this season with great 4-2 start this season.
R.I.P Al Davis
No comments:
Post a Comment